Full Job Description
Do you remember your favorite teacher—the one who inspired you and went above and beyond to help you achieve your goals? Do you aspire to pay it forward? Join a rapidly-expanding team dedicated to cultivating future leaders capable of achieving their maximum potential. Where other test prep companies simply hire part-time tutors looking for a side gig, our after-school college prep institution hires full-time instructors looking to grow their career in a collaborative and growth-oriented start-up environment. We do not teach “tricks” or how to “beat the test.” Rather, we utilize an organic approach that builds students’ essential core skills, improving their writing and reading skills in the long term—not just for the SAT or ACT, but for high school, college, and beyond.
As an English Instructor, you will be expected to:
- Instruct small groups of students in their English core skills to promote long-term understanding of topics and top scores in their college readiness exams (ACT & SAT).
- Track your students’ progress as they move through Vanguard’s unique multi-phase curriculum, engaging students in individualized growth and improvement opportunities along the way.
- Model professionalism and strong organizational skills by replying to students in a timely manner, maintaining and updating student lesson schedules on our online platform, and holding students accountable for assignments.
- Spearhead the development and creative execution of ever-evolving lesson plans and curriculum.
- Mentor middle and high school students with empathy and an innate understanding that the college application process is becoming increasingly competitive and stressful.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a humanities field (English, Creative Writing, Journalism, Publishing, etc.) (Master’s or higher preferred)
- Teaching experience in English and/or experience working in a college-level Writing Center (1+ years)
- GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Strong verbal skills and mastery of the English language
- Proficiency in MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and G-Suites
- Access to a reliable internet connection and a workspace with minimal noise/distraction
The ideal candidate will also possess:
- Experience teaching at the college or community college level
- Robust understanding of classroom pedagogy and the ability to create customized, engaging lesson plans that use practical, real-world examples to inspire a love for learning
- Desire to help students recognize, reach for, and realize their fullest potential
- A dynamic and outgoing personality
- The ability to work both independently and in a team environment
Why you want to teach with Vanguard College Prep:
- Paid training and comprehensive preparation
- Distinctive and individualized approach to test prep with a strong track record of producing top-tier students and nationally-ranked test scores
- Opportunity to work with our distinctly engaged, enthusiastic, and driven client base of students energized by Vanguard’s commitment the highest-quality client experience
- Elite team of instructors, counselors, and specialists from Ivy League and top universities across the nation who are passionate about fostering student success
- Quickly-growing start-up environment that emphasizes creativity, collaboration, and leadership, with opportunities for long-term career growth
- Competitive compensation structure (dependent on experience) with benefits
- Starting Pay: $18.00 – $22.00 per hour depending on education, experience, and skill
- A comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision and health insurance, as well as paid time off, sick days, and paid winter vacations
About Vanguard College Prep:
Vanguard College Prep is a full-service educational company whose mission is to enable the future leaders of our globalized world to meet their fullest potential. Through its test prep, college counseling, and college essay services, Vanguard is committed to providing meaningful, all-encompassing college preparation that treats each student as an individual, preparing them for the boardroom, not the assembly line.
Two things set Vanguard apart from other after school companies: our elite team and our personalized, organic curriculum. Unlike other test prep companies, which often take a one-size-fits-all approach to test prep, Vanguard recognizes that every student learns differently. Our experienced instructors, counselors, and essay specialists strive to shatter this assembly line model by focusing on core learning rather than short-term strategies and tips, tailoring instruction to fit each student’s individual needs. We encourage students’ continual questioning and curiosity with the goal of extending learning beyond the classroom, so that our students will be successful in the elite college of their choice and beyond.
About Vanguard College Prep:
Vanguard is a college prep institution that prepares middle and high school students for standardized tests such as the ACT and SAT. We are revolutionizing the test prep process making it enjoyable and usable! We want our students to be 110% prepared for the rigorous college admissions process. We know students are more than just a test score, that is why we help them with learning the basic skills and core foundations of each subject.
*Please mention you saw this ad on CommunityCollegeJobs.*
Community College Jobs in Popular Cities