ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The English Instructor must teach English courses; assess student performance; advise students; participate in college and departmental committee work; submit required reports on attendance and grades; and assist in registration. In addition, this position must comply with all policies of the Alabama Community College System Board of Trustees, the Alabama Community College System (ACCS), and Northeast Alabama Community College.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In accordance with course syllabi and schedule of classes, teach courses as assigned
- Organize, instruct, and supervise students as assigned
- Prepare course syllabi and objectives in conjunction with departmental guidelines
- Participate in selection of texts and teaching materials
- Serve as academic advisor for students as assigned, including utilizing advising software
- Participate in all student registration periods and work closely with students to adjust schedules per the college drop/add process
- Recommend appropriate library resources, instructional equipment, and curriculum improvements as necessary to maintain an effective program
- Assist in the development, evaluation, and revision of English curricula to insure maximum student competency
- Serve as editor of the college’s literary journal Aurora
- Co-sponsor the college’s English honor society, Sigma Kappa Delta
- Co-sponsor the middle school/high school literary competition
- Co-sponsor the college’s Arts Con event
- Adhere to all policies and procedures set forth by the College
- Maintain appropriate work hours as outlined in ACCS and College policies and as approved by the President
- Attend all faculty meetings, in-service, and convocations
- Participate in the College’s planning process
- Serve on institutional committees as assigned
- Maintain currency of professional knowledge and skills through professional development and continuing education
- Recruit students for the College
- Agree to teach day and evening classes, on- and/or off-campus, and distance education classes
- Have knowledge of and commitment to the philosophy and objectives of Northeast Alabama Community College
- Represent the College and its philosophy to prospective students and to others in the community
- Comply with all policies of the Alabama Community College System Board of Trustees, the Alabama Community College System, and Northeast Alabama Community College
- Complete other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Competency in the use of current educational technologies is preferred
- Effective oral and written communication skills
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree from a regionally-accredited institution with 18 graduate semester hours in the subject is required
- Teaching experience at the community college level is preferred
Application Procedures/Additional Information
IMPORTANT!!! - Read all of the following information very carefully before you submit an application. Do not submit an application until you have all required application materials uploaded to NEOED. Do not send transcripts or letters of recommendation to the NACC Human Resources or Registrar's Offices. These must be uploaded by the applicant as part of his or her application.
To have a complete application, applicants must complete the online application form and submit the following documents on the "Attachments" screen of the online application. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the requirements are met.
|1.||A completed online application form|
|2.||A current résumé|
|3.||A separate transcripts from each College attended (This means all of them.)
Note: To qualify, the transcript(s) must include your name and the name of the institution and confirm that the degree required for the position was conferred (date received). Make sure to ensure this information is included.
|4.||Three signed letters of recommendation, dated within one year of the application deadline. One must be from the applicant's current or former college instructor, supervisor, or employer. Each must have an actual signature or electronic signature. Typed signatures and typed cursive fonts are NOT accepted.|
|5.||Position paper of five hundred words or less describing the applicant’s understanding of the community college philosophy|
APPLICATION AND INTERVIEW PROCESS:
All applications must be submitted through the NEOED system. Click on the green "Apply" button at the top of this announcement to create or access your NEOED account. All application materials must be uploaded by the applicant to his or her account, including transcripts, resumes, letters of recommendation, etc., according to what is listed in the application requirements section by the application deadline. Do not submit an application until you have all required application materials uploaded. Applications are only accepted through the NEOED System. If you have questions, contact the Human Resources Office at 256.228.6001, ext. 2230. Technical questions about the NEOED website, account creation, and/or uploading or completing application materials should be directed to the NEOED helpline at 855-524-5627.
A scanner and computer are available on campus for applicants who need to upload documents to the online application system. This service is free of charge and is available during normal operating hours of the TLC and Library. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact Ms. Judith Lea in the Technology Learning Center (256.228.6001, ext. 2309) or Dr. Julia Everett (256.228.6001, ext. 2226) in the Library.
Applications for the position will be reviewed to determine (1) if they are complete and (2) if the applicant meets the minimum qualifications required of the position. Interviews are then scheduled at the President’s discretion and will be conducted via a web-interface such as Zoom, Skype, or Microsoft Teams. Applicants will be required to participate in an interview at their own expense. Official transcripts will be required of the finalist chosen for employment by the President.
Criminal Background Checks - In accordance with Alabama Community College System policy and procedures, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from the criminal background check.
E-verify - Northeast Alabama Community College is an active participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-verify). E-verify electronically confirms an employee’s eligibility to work in the United States as required by the Department of Homeland Security.
Verification of Work Experience – As a condition of the employment offer, the applicant chosen to fill the position will be required to submit verification from previous and current employers to confirm the work experience stated in the application. The verification form, provided by the College to the applicant, must include the applicant’s beginning and ending dates of employment and job title; confirm if the employment was full time or part-time; and outline job duties. This information will be used to determine salary schedule placement and is required within fifteen (15) working days of acceptance of an employment offer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Northeast Alabama Community College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the official policy of the Alabama Community College System, including all postsecondary community and technical colleges under control of the Alabama Community College System Board of Trustees, that no employee or applicant for employment or promotion, on the basis of any impermissible criterion or characteristic including, without limitation, race, color, national origin, religion, marital status, disability, sex, age, or any other protected class as defined by federal and state law, shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. Northeast Alabama Community College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled applicants or employees. Northeast Alabama Community College reserves the right to withdraw this job announcement at any time prior to the awarding.
Accreditation – Northeast Alabama Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award the Associate Degree. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Northeast Alabama Community College.
*Please mention you saw this ad on CommunityCollegeJobs.*
Community College Jobs in Popular Cities