Professional Tutor â€“ Mathematics Tutorial & Computer Lab- Professional Services-No Benefits (Contingency)
Professional Tutor – Mathematics Tutorial & Computer Lab- Professional Services-No Benefits (Contingency)
Date: November 7, 2022
Position Number: 1432
Hours: 1 – 28 hours per week; days and times are flexible
Compensation: $12.50 - $19.00 depending on qualifications
Reports to: Health Sciences Resource and Tutorial Coordinator
Close Date: Open until filled
For information on “Who are Professional Services, No-Benefit Employees?” please visit
This position is responsible to provide direct tutoring for students and help oversee the operations of the Mathematics Tutorial & Computer Lab. This individual must possess an interest in working with diverse learners from a wide range of age, ethnicity and national origin.
Essential Job Functions
• Provide individual and group tutoring in content-specific courses in both face-to-face and online formats.
• Demonstrate proficiency with the curriculum of the GRCC courses in assigned content area.
• Assist the Lab Coordinator with the operation of the lab, including preparing special review materials.
• Help supervise, train and serve as a mentor to student tutors.
• Act as reader for math related assessments for Disability Support Services, as needed.
• Work cooperatively and maintain rapport and a close working relationship with students, staff, faculty and administration.
• Promote and develop the academic success of students by encouraging a positive attitude and independent, self-actualized learning.
• Assist with the management and security of all resources, including the computers in the lab.
• Assist with the maintenance and updating of the tutorial lab Blackboard site
• Assist in monitoring students using the lab via computerized swipe system.
• Discuss lab services with students during class visitations to lab.
• Communicate with the Lab Coordinator as needed regarding the individual needs of students.
• Keep the Lab Coordinator informed of any problems experienced in the lab by students or staff.
• Attend Tutorial Lab meetings and trainings as requested by the Lab Coordinator.
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Experience and/ or Education
• Associate degree or higher preferred.
• Demonstrate content knowledge of areas needing tutoring.
• Experience teaching/tutoring students preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities
• Possession of good people service skills with a student-oriented focus.
• Ability to work with a variety of computer software applications.
• Ability to assist students of various cultural, ethnic and educational backgrounds by being helpful, patient, encouraging and understanding.
• Ability to work cooperatively and maintain rapport with students, staff, faculty and administrators.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to assist students and staff in a professional manner.
• Demonstrate professionalism and possession of character qualities including organization, promptness, courtesy, confidentiality and dependability.
• This position requires regular interactions with students that may involve moving around the tutorial center, standing while providing in person tutoring, or long periods of sitting while providing virtual support.
• Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds.
• Ability to adapt and work in a fast paced, team-based, collaborative environment.
• Customer service-oriented, with the ability to relate well to a diverse array of campus clients, including faculty, staff and students.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Strong organizational skills to work with multiple students at one time.
• Analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• High level of creativity, energy, enthusiasm and motivation.
• Must possess initiative and be able to work independently and ask for guidance when needed.
• Ability to use good judgment when handling confidential, or sensitive, college material.
• The work environment is team-oriented and can be fast-paced.
• This position requires the individual to transition smoothly between independent and collaborative efforts.
• Grand Rapids Community College will comply with any mandated health and safety requirements.
Employees will be directed to our GRCC Policy(s) for compliance information.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at
https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. The posting will remain open until filled. Please include your resume and cover letter in one document. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The College will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation.
*Please mention you saw this ad on CommunityCollegeJobs.*
Community College Jobs in Popular Cities