This job has Expired
Assistant to Preschool Instructor
Assistant to Preschool Instructor
Date: November 11, 2022
Department: Early Childhood Learning Lab
Job ID: 1392
Work Hours/Schedule: 40 hours/week, 40 weeks/year
Compensation: Meet and Confer – Grade 11, $19.22 per hour
Reports to: Director, Early Childhood Learning Lab
Posting Close Date: Open Until Filled
Grand Rapids Community College provides an excellent benefits experience for our GRCC family. Our benefit package is designed to enhance employees' health and well-being. Part-time employees have different benefits outlined in the specific collective bargaining agreements and handbooks. Below is an overview of these benefits, additional details are available on the Human Resources/Benefits website:
• Six health insurance plan options (includes a high deductible plan with a health savings account option).
• A unique dental & vision reimbursement program (includes coverage for adult orthodontia & lasik eye surgery).
• Employer sponsored retirement plans as well as voluntary retirement savings plans (403b or 457 plans)
• Tuition benefits at GRCC for you, your spouse and your dependents.
• Tuition reimbursement at other higher education institutions for you.
• Generous time off that includes sick, vacation and personal leave banks.
• Paid holidays and holiday shutdown period in late December!
The Assistant Instructor works collaboratively with the Lead Instructor to develop and maintain a classroom that provides a safe and enriching learning environment for children. The Assistant Instructor models appropriate teaching and care-giving and offers students assistance as needed. The Assistant Instructor further works to oversee and manage classroom operations to allow the Lead Instructor to focus on coaching, mentoring and evaluating college students during their scheduled lab time.
Essential Job Functions
- Plan and implement a curriculum that enhances the physical, intellectual, emotional and social development of each child. Lesson plans must meet accreditation and TQRIS standards, as well as incorporate Key Developmental Indicators (HighScope) or COR Advantage Areas.
- Provide enriching learning experiences and care to assigned primary and/or small group children.
- Maintain a healthy and safe classroom as defined by licensing, accreditation and TQRIS standards.
- Establish supportive relationships with families, maintaining daily communication and collaborating to promote the well-being of each child and their classroom success.
- Responsible for coordination and completion of family conferences and home visits.
- Work collaboratively with lead instructor to organize, coordinate and implement family and/or staff engagements.
- Attend family and staff extra-curricular engagements.
- Assess children’s development utilizing COR Advantage; providing data input and completing assigned checkpoints.
- Implement screening tool on children; using ASQ, ASQ-SE or Brigance.
- Collaborate with classroom staff to complete weekly classroom team meetings, providing input and responses to evaluate and promote children’s development, classroom curriculum, document meetings and classroom activity.
- Ensure that classroom paperwork and materials incorporate all children and are current. (Cubbies, mailboxes, cots, name charts, etc.).
- Model appropriate and current best practice teaching strategies, curriculum and caregiving for lab students in the classroom.
- Complete a minimum of 24 hours of early childhood professional development per year in the MiRegistry system.
- Compose, display and maintain informative classroom documentation, including newsletters, family boards, project approach and required classroom paperwork as required to meet NAEYC, CLASS and PQA standards.
- Work collaboratively with all preschool and education department staff to meet program goals.
- Assist in the evaluation of CD-118 (Human Growth and Development) students as needed under the direction of the Instructor.
- Collaborate with Preschool to maintain essential classroom coverage ratios, having flexibility to assist other classrooms as needed.
- Assist in preparing classroom environment and materials so students can implement their assignments.
- Answer questions and offer support for students as needed.
- Collaborate with classroom team members to plan and place appropriate learning materials in each assigned learning domain. Materials must be labeled appropriately based upon PQA standards and changed based upon children’s interest and/or classroom guidelines.
- Assist instructors to accommodate student make-ups.
- Provide consistent, clear and timely communication with office staff in regards to child absences, change of schedule and other pertinent information.
- Work collaboratively with other preschool staff to plan and implement smooth transitions for children who are transitioning into new classrooms.
- Responsible for establishing, maintaining and implementing Allergy and Asthma Action plans.
- An awareness of appropriate childcare food program practices and ability to implement these in the classroom.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings.
- Acquire and maintain Comprehensive Background Check (fingerprinting) through the state of Michigan
- Maintain CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Acquire and maintain TB test and physical.
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customer functions of this position.
- Other duties as assigned.
• Associate’s degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, or related discipline required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development, or related discipline preferred.
• Two (2) years working in diverse early childhood settings required; Three (3) years preferred.
The following competencies are essential and will be evaluated for our candidates through the evidence-based selection process:
• Information Skills
• Getting Information
• Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates
• Interacting with Computers
• Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships
• Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
• Documenting/Recording Information
• Processing Information
• Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
• Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge
• Performing Administrative Activities
• Making Decisions and Solving Problems
• Communicating with Persons Outside Organization
• Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards
• Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings
• Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to work with diverse populations.
• Commitment to the well-being of each and every child attending preschool.
• Strong commitment to innovation and current best practices in the child development field.
• Ability to lift and move 50 lbs.
• Must be able to engage with children on floor level for long periods of time.
• Must be able to walk a long distance.
• Must be able to kneel, squat, sit on the floor and get back up.
• An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
• An interest in working with diverse populations who represent a wide range of ages, ethnicities, national origins and abilities.
• Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimal supervision.
• High energy level.
• Sense of humor.
• Ability to work in a very active and loud environment, addressing multiple needs accordingly.
• Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and appropriate manner.
• Project a professional image.
• Must possess the personality and enthusiasm to work with children, students and college staff.
• Must be self-motivated and resourceful, demonstrating initiative to complete assigned tasks according to standards in a timely manner.
• Proficient in software applications (Word, Publisher) and other relevant technology applications such as Child Observation Record (COR-Advantage) and the Google suite.
• Ability to work collaboratively with classroom team members.
• Ability to perform functions of the job efficiently and effectively in stressful situations.
• Grand Rapids Community College will comply with any mandated health and safety requirements. Employees will be directed to our GRCC Policy(s) for compliance information.
• Must be able to go outside in the winter if the wind chill is 10 degrees or higher and must be able to go out in the summer if the temperature is 90 degrees or below.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will remain open until filled. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an
investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
*Please mention you saw this ad on CommunityCollegeJobs.*
Community College Jobs in Popular Cities