This job has Expired
Business Law Instructor
Classification Title: Adjunct Teaching
Department: Business Administration
Rank: Adjunct Instructor
Tenure Information: Non-Tenure Track
Under administrative leadership, it is the responsibility of the adjunct instructor to participate in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of educational programs, courses, and other experiences that will directly result in the educational growth of the students and support advancement of the vision, mission, and values of the community college district.
Classroom environment and unassigned faculty office environment. Classes may be at the Palm Desert Campus or one of our sites in Indio, Mecca/Thermal, Desert Hot Springs, or Palm Springs. Classes may be scheduled during the day, evening or weekends.
College of the Desert Adjunct Association (CODAA) Bargaining Unit
For more information about College of the Desert, click here.
Click the here to read President's Message.
Examples of Job Duties:
A. Classroom responsibilities a. Meet classes/laboratories on day and times assigned.
b. Develop and implement instruction for each class/laboratory period which is consistent with the official course outline.
c. Develop and distribute the first week of class, a written syllabus for each course to communicate to students course objectives, grading criteria, and classroom policies.
d. Demonstrate respect for student rights as specified in District policy and applicable laws.
e. Ensure course textbooks and instructional materials are made available to students in a timely manner.
f. Refer students to tutoring and related student services when appropriate.
g. Supervise student in off-campus activities when participation is expected as part of a course requirement or where such supervision is part of the instructors load.
B. Evaluation of Students a. Evaluate students progress toward meeting course objectives; advise the students of course objectives, methods of evaluation and the results of the evaluation.
b. Return assignments and examination results in a timely fashion.
c. Assign grades to students in the manner provided by District policy and administrative procedure and prescribed by the Education Code and Title V regulations for the State of California.
d. Submit required administrative paperwork, including grade report forms, in a timely and accurate manner.
C. Curriculum - Responsibility of Full-Time Faculty
D. Student Advising - Responsibility of Full-Time Faculty
E. Professional Development - Responsibility of Full-Time Faculty
Additional Responsibilities a. Abide by department regulations concerning the proper use, care, and security of equipment.
b. Advise Supervisor of unsafe conditions or potential hazards and recommend solutions.
c. Fulfill all obligations as established in the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.
d. Keep official records required by District policy and administrative procedures and submit them in accordance with college procedures.
Optional Duties* a. Advise enrolled students on such matters as: Learning skills, collateral or enrichment reading or experience opportunities for further understanding of the courses or subject field, career alternative/opportunities related to the subject field.
b. Provide academic assistance and related services to students during office hours.
c. Participate in the credit by examination program where applicable.
d. Participate in the development and review of curriculum as needed.
e. Participate in the development of alternative teaching modalities.
f. Schedule, announce to students in all classes, and maintain office hours.
g. Participate in advisory committee meetings as required.
h. Participate in professional development activities.
i. Attend and participate in department/center meetings when assigned by the District or shared governance.
j. Participate process of shared governance by contributing to the academic community through committee work on the department division, college and/or district level, or participate in other significant non-classroom college, district, or community activities.
k. Consult with Supervisor on personnel needs; assist with position announcements, recruitment, and screening/interviewing committees.
l. Participate in mentoring of new faculty as assigned.
- All optional duties are on a voluntary basis, but some may have compensation attached per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Consult with departmental Dean for clarification.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) or Legum Baccalaureus (LL.B.) (NOTE: Courses in aspects of law for application to a particular discipline may be classified, for minimum qualifications purposes in the discipline of the application.)
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
FOREIGN EQUIVALENCY EVALUATIONS:
- Degrees earned outside of the U.S. require that a Foreign Equivalency Evaluation be uploaded in addition to the foreign transcripts.
- Additional Equivalency Information is available by clicking here.
Salary Range/Rate: Master Degree Lecture Rate, Master Degree Lab Rate - $57.53, Doctorate Degree Lecture Rate - $71.23, Doctorate Degree Lab Rate - $60.54
Salary Detail Information: Salary Placement is according to the CODAA Collective Bargaining Agreement. For information on salary placement, please see the Collective Bargaining Agreement and Salary Schedule.
Posting Number: 22-053-F
Open Date: 10/03/2022
Close Date: 1/15/2023
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- REFERENCES: The List of Professional References should include at least two current or previous supervisors, two faculty members, and two other references not related to the applicant (including classified support staff). Please include names, e-mail addresses and current telephone numbers for each professional reference in your application. Applicants from sectors other than higher education should submit comparable references. Letters of reference will not be accepted in lieu of the required List of Professional References.
REQUIRED ATTACHMENTS: Applications missing any of the required documents listed will not be considered. The following documents are required at the time of application:
- Resume: Must include length of employment (month/year start & end dates) for each employer.
- Cover Letter: Please address how you meet the minimum requirements for this position and any special qualifications you possess.
- Unofficial Transcripts: Must be from an accredited institution, show name of institution, degree awarded, discipline, and date awarded. Diplomas will not be accepted in lieu of the required transcripts.
*Please mention you saw this ad on CommunityCollegeJobs.*
Community College Jobs in Popular Cities