Adjunct Physiology Faculty
Reporting directly to the campus Academic Dean and/or University Chair of General Education, the Instructor I, General Education supports the University in fulfillment of its mission, purpose and goals. Creates an educational environment which fosters innovation, responsiveness, and accountability. Provides professional leadership and support, and serves as an educator, role model, mentor and facilitator. Focuses extensively on facilitating student learning associated with prescribed course and program learning outcomes. Provides program-specific expertise and is actively engaged in relevant department initiatives. Supports University, campus, and/or departmental goals in order to assure compliance with programmatic accreditation and/or licensure, internal consistency, and graduate outcomes that meet student learning, workplace and placement expectations. Actively and substantively participates in assessment of student learning activities at the course and prog5ram level to maximize the potential for students to learn what is necessary to meet prescribed outcomes. Vigorously upholds a culture of academic integrity.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is an essential function of the position.)
- Fulfills assigned teaching load.
- Consistently follows the master course syllabus.
- Effectively uses the LMS to supplement instruction (i.e., adaptive learning and flipping the classroom).
- Participates in and contributes substantively to course and program level assessment activities via a continuous improvement plan as set forth by General Education and/or the University.
- Regularly contributes to improvement of course materials and syllabi within prescribed shared governance culture.
- Consistently employs a variety of teaching methodologies to instruct students always with intent to facilitate observable evidence of student fulfillment of prescribed learning outcomes.
- Ensures that all laboratory safety protocols and procedures are followed.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for teaching and the teaching/learning process and for individual students.
- Keeps regular approved office hours (for FT faculty).
- Follows established University protocols for providing timely feedback and/or academic advising (i.e., Grades in Progress, student Letters of Concern, etc.).
- Experienced and competent teaching skills as demonstrated by:
- student evaluations
- peer evaluations if assigned
- administration reviews
- evidence of documented student achievement of course student learning outcomes
- Mentors and takes an active interest in students.
- Actively engages in tutoring and remediation initiatives.
- Attends professional development activities each year as agreed upon with supervisor in associate development plan.
- Attends teaching development activities each year as assigned by supervisor to enhance teaching/learning skills.
- Attends all-faculty meetings twice per year (for full time faculty attendance is required, for adjunct faculty attendance is strongly recommended.
- PROFESSIONAL GROWTH AND SERVICE:
- Attends Department, College and University meetings/councils as arranged/approved by supervisor.
- Demeanor reflects collegiality and behavior demonstrates professional and ethical conduct.
- Maintains membership in a professional organization.
- Develops connections within professional community both inside and outside the University.
- Contributes/demonstrates ongoing service in at least one of the following areas:
- Community or Public Service
- Profession (member of professional organization)
- University - other alternative approved activity as identified by Faculty Handbook
- Actively and substantively participates in General Education and University initiatives as assigned.
- May assist with gathering program data to ensure best practices and optimal student outcomes.
GENERAL SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Records and posts daily class attendance and grades as required, completes and submits assignments in a timely manner, and grades tests, quizzes, lab assignments promptly, returning constructive feedback to students as soon as possible.
- Maintains and uses West Coast University officially approved master course syllabus template and prepares/distributes syllabi in a timely fashion.
- Submits accurate grade-in-progress report(s) as required during the term/semester in accordance with the posted syllabus to the campus program Dean or Chair.
- Posts accurate points and final course grades earned throughout the term/semester in accordance with the posted syllabus as per teaching assignment(s).
- Assists with program activities to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, accrediting bodies, and University policies and procedures in concert with other West Coast University campus programs.
- Reviews and recommends improvements and enhancements to the consistency and quality of course offerings, course/program development, and curriculum.
- Participates in student success activities such as engaging in student academic counseling and/or establishing a point of contact for internal resource/access for student issues.
- Assures students are provided instructional support services within the subject area taught to maintain the highest level of student achievement while safeguarding the integrity of the educational process.
- Serves as a mentor, role model and facilitator and provides guidance and academic support for students.
- Attends meetings as required to share information, guidelines and procedures, coordinates activities, and to further disseminate information across the assigned department.
- Regularly attends and provides substantive leadership in program Learning Communities and Program Outcomes Assessment Committees.
- Follows proper procedures/channels of communication.
- Participates in the learning outcome review and program review.
- Participates in professional development and organizations in order to remain current in the field.
- Maintains professional appearance for position and is courteous and approachable to students.
- Maintains regular and timely attendance, reports to work as scheduled and assures time worked and/or time-off is recorded properly.
- Adheres to University policies and procedures and conducts job responsibilities in accordance with the standards set out in the University’s Code of Ethical Conduct, Compliance Agreement, Sexual Harassment Policy or any of its policies and procedures, applicable federal and state laws, and applicable professional standards.
- Maintains confidentiality of all student, associate, and/or University information as required.
- Exercises care, proper use and maintenance of department equipment and supplies and identifies unsafe conditions and makes appropriate adjustments.
- Maintains order, cleanliness and safety at work.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in specialty field required.
- If applicable, certification(s) in area(s) of specialization required.
- Must provide a documented background in educational methodology consistent with teaching assignments including but not limited to education theory and practice, or current concepts relative to specific subjects he or she will be teaching, or current clinical practice experience, or distance education techniques and delivery.
- Must meet and maintain the qualifications and standards set forth by any accreditation body that West Coast University is accredited by or in process of obtaining accreditation from, for area of expertise and expectations of faculty member as set forth in regulatory documents.
- Must maintain any professional certifications deemed necessary to meet the requirements of the teaching role.
- Two or more years’ experience (minimum of 30 teaching credits of instruction, or 10 3-unit courses or equivalent) in teaching in a university or college setting required.
- If applicable, certification(s) in area(s) of specialization required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite Products, especially Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and other MS office products as needed.
- Program specific:
- Knowledge of state, federal and local laws/regulations relating to programs, governmental compliance and other regulatory standards and/or accreditation bodies.
For over 100 years, West Coast University has been educating and preparing students for professional careers across our six campuses located in Southern California, Dallas, Miami, and Online. As part of our unique student-centric approach to advanced healthcare education you will be empowering future healthcare professionals. At West Coast University our students are Ahead of the Curve. Our Mission is to embrace a student-centric learning partnership that leads to professional success. We deliver transformational education within a culture of integrity and personal accountability.
Our benefited faculty and associates are offered a comprehensive benefit package including:
- Health & Wellness
- Financial & Retirement
- Family & Parenting
- Vacation & Time Off
- Perks & Discount
- Professional Development
West Coast University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who desire to work in and serve an ethnically-diverse population.
*Please mention you saw this ad on CommunityCollegeJobs.*
Community College Jobs in Popular Cities