This job has Expired
Adjunct Librarian- Adjunct Faculty
Adjunct Librarian- Adjunct Faculty
Date Posted: August 15, 2022
This position is represented by the Faculty Association
Position number: 1390
Work schedule: 8 hours per week
Reports to: Director of the Library & Learning Commons (LLC)
Posting Close Date: Open until filled
This faculty member provides essential library functions with an emphasis on professional level information literacy instruction in the classroom and at the reference desk.
Essential Job Functions
- In collaboration with colleagues, classroom instructors, and the Information Literacy Librarian, design, teach, and promote general and subject-focused instruction sessions that support the academic curriculum.
- Contextualize instruction based on course learning outcomes.
- Teach database and web searching and evaluation.
- Participate in the development and delivery of library instruction to online and distance learners.
- Create and maintain SubjectGuides and other instructional materials using web, presentation, and course management software.
- Participate continuously administration of learning assessments.
- Provide general and in-depth reference services to GRCC Library & Learning Commons (LLC) patrons in person and via electronic venues through assigned desk hours (including some evening and weekend hours), and using an appropriate balance of print and electronic resources.
- In collaboration with LLC faculty, department liaisons, and the Acquisitions Specialist, participate in materials selection, evaluation of the collection, and de-accession.
- Cultivate collegial working relationships within the LLC.
- Support the mission, vision, values and strategic priorities of the LLC and the College.
Education and Credential
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Experience with reference and information literacy in higher education.
- Knowledge, experience, and enthusiasm for evaluating and integrating emerging library technologies.
- Demonstrated experience maximizing the effectiveness, efficiency, and appeal of instruction and other learning experiences through intentional instructional design.
- Experience with the Blackboard Course Management system (Preferred).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively both collaboratively and independently in a diverse, fast-paced, service oriented environment.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Proficiencies in office productivity software.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
Understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
Ability to teach college-level material to high school students as part of a middle college or dual enrollment program.
Ability to work with diverse student populations who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability.
High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes.
Practices good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Must have the physical capacity for lifting up to 25lbs.
- Meet professionally recognized standards related to physical strength, mobility, hearing, visual discrimination, coordination, manual dexterity and communication skills.
- Ability to demonstrate the mental health necessary to safely engage in the librarian discipline as determined by professional standards of practice.
- Ability to work with changing instructional technologies used in and out of the classroom.
- Willingness and availability to work a flexible schedule.
- Library environment in an academic setting.
Method of Application
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at GRCC job postings. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will Open until filled. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
*Please mention you saw this ad on CommunityCollegeJobs.*