Director of the International Center - Bunker Hill Community College
Location: Boston, MA Category: Administrators Posted On: Thu Aug 18 2022 Job Description:
Bunker Hill Community College (www.BHCC.edu) is one of the most diverse and vibrant institutions of higher learning in Boston, Massachusetts, that hosts nearly 1,000 international students representing 105 countries who speak more than 75 languages. The College seeks a dynamic, full-time Director of the International Center to provide administrative and innovative leadership in international student recruitment and advising, the promotion of global learning across the campus, the alignment of the Center's vision and direction with college goals, and compliance with federal regulations. Reporting to the Dean of the Division of Behavioral, Social Sciences, and Global Learning, the successful candidate is expected to demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills, exceptional customer service skills, effective management and problem-solving skills, the ability to collaborate with a wide and diverse range of constituencies, and strong organizational and time management skills in a fast-paced environment. This position also requires that the successful candidate be an experienced, knowledgeable professional in immigration status - related issues and best practices in international education.
- Develops and monitors the strategic vision, mission, and goals for the International Center, in collaboration with the Dean of Behavioral, Social Sciences, and Global Learning.
- Provide leadership for different units in the College to develop innovative strategies that will: increase international student enrollment, support timely international student advising, ensure strong customer service, support international student development and success, implement effective retention strategies, and promote successful degree completion and transfer of international students to other institutions; Collaborate with different units in the College in order to achieve these goals.
- Collaborate with the Offices of Enrollment Management and Admissions, Integrated Marketing and Communications, Institutional Effectiveness, and other units on campus as needed to ensure an efficient, student-centered admissions process is maintained.
- Support the development and implementation of a vision and strategy for global learning and internationalization across the campus that aligns with the goals, institutional learning outcomes, and educational master plan of the College.
- Work actively with the Office of Institutional Effectiveness in developing data protocols, analyzing data patterns on international student admissions, enrollment, persistence, retention, and successful completion, and creating standard reports for dissemination to the College community and other external institutions.
- Evaluate the activities, programs, and initiatives of the International Center using quantitative and qualitative forms of outcomes assessment and use the results to constantly improve its operations and implementation of programs.
- Recruit, hire, train, and supervise all International Center staff, including student employees and work-study students.
- Regularly review and update all International Office policies, procedures and practices, and conduct regular business process reviews to optimize daily operations.
- Identify and prioritize the Center's funding requirements in line with existing budget practices of the College and its strategic planning cycle and administer the annual operating budget.
- Coordinate and develop campus activities that promote educational, cultural, and social programming for international students, such as but not limited to, International Education Week and International Women's Day.
- Act as the primary officer responsible for SEVIS compliance as well as the primary International Student Advisor (see more specific duties on immigration status-related issues below.)
- Create and manage international education programs such as Unibuddy and Study Abroad, as well as develop new programs, partnerships, and agreements with organizations and institutions that will promote internationalization and global learning across the College
- Collaborate with academic divisions and departments to develop programs that can be completed at BHCC or from students' home countries.
- Collaborate with English Language Institute staff to coordinate support for ELI students' on-boarding, advising, and retention.
- Perform other responsibilities as may be assigned.
Specific Duties Related to International Students' Immigrant Status Administration: As the primary designated school official (PDSO) for F-1 visa holders, and responsible officer (RO) for J-visa holders, the Director of the International Center is responsible for the timely and accurate compliance of all relevant regulations and reporting including but not limited to: SEVIS reporting regulations and the filing of all institutional reports required by the Department of State and Homeland Security Re-certification of the College as a Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Identification, appointment and supervision of Designated School Officials (DSOs).
- A Master's degree and 5-7 years of progressive experience in the recruitment, admission, and advising of international students in higher education is required; at least 2 years of successful staff supervision also required.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the United States in order to qualify as a PDSO.
- Demonstrated proficiency in knowledge of all SEVIS-related processes and federal regulations and reporting requirements that apply to international students.
- Demonstrated experience working with an English Language Institute and supporting English Language Learners.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in the field of international education.
- Willingness and ability to undertake domestic and international travel as needed.
- Proven ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student population.
- Demonstrated excellence in oral, written, and interpersonal communications required.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and multi-tasking skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated experience at providing strong customer service, effective problem-solving, negotiating, and navigating sometimes stressful situations when working with multiple constituents, including students, faculty, staff, and/or external partners.
- Exceptional collaborative leadership skills for working with multiple departments throughout the college and external providers to ensure the success of international students, strengthen international student recruitment strategies, and promote global learning and internationalization across the campus.
- Community college experience with recruitment, admission, and advising of international students.
- Previous experience living/working abroad as well as knowledge of a second language.
Salary range: $92,000.00-$112,000.00.
*Please mention you saw this ad on CommunityCollegeJobs.*
Community College Jobs in Popular Cities